RSS

Testers required for the new update

06 Feb

Today we have added a new test version to the beta channel of FoxToPhone. You can install this beta 3 by scrolling down to the “Beta channel” section, or using this direct link for beta 3.

There are no new functions added in the 1.1.2 version, just some updated URLs and translations, and although they seem like simple changes we don’t want to have to rush with a new update like happened with the 1.1.1 due to a bug in the German files. So please, install this beta version to verify that it works correctly in your language.

BTW, if some artist would like to help us to update the icon for Firefox 4 that would be nice. The requirements aren’t still 100% clear but it seems that for the extension manager a 48×48 and 64×64 icon is required, and the toolbar button will be just 16×16, although a 24×24 might be used also in Linux.

1. j

07/02/2011 at 14:55

awesome. checking it out now. thanks

2. dmacleo

10/02/2011 at 19:28

playing with it now.
    trying to find documentation on the protocol options listed, can you link me to it?
    thanks

• alfonso

12/02/2011 at 00:18

They are easy to understand: market: is used with Android market links, sms: is used to launch the SMS messaging app, and tel: is used to launch the dialer.
      We just pass that info to Android and it’s up to that browser how to parse and react to them

3. LA

15/03/2011 at 17:54

Hi,
    I’ve created new RU translation – could you please include it into your next update?

Also with regards to the icon in address bar – you’ve replied on addons.mozilla.org that it is not simple to implement it – you may have a look at read it later addon code – https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/read-it-later/, such icon is there.
    I also believe that adding of such button to the address bar is quite logical – you are sending the link to the phone.

And with regards to the icon – good icons can be found at http://www.iconfinder.com/, for ex., search by ‘mobile’.
    For ex., if button would be added to the address bar, I think the following icon would be OK – http://www.iconfinder.com/icondetails/16334/16/mobile_phone_icon.

And, thanks for the addon!

• alfonso

25/03/2011 at 17:15

Thanks, when we release a new version we will update all the locales.

Putting the icon inside the address bar requires first to search how to do it, then code and test it. That’s a lot of work and in the end the button inside the url bar can’t be moved like the rest of icons, so you can be sure that there will be a number of people that don’t like it that way.
      Besides that, if the icon is inside the toolbar I think that it might not be possible to provide a context menu or allow drag&drop like the current one.

With regards to that icon… it looks like an old dumbphone, not something beatiful like the current phones.

4. Anil K Solanki

01/04/2011 at 15:05

Hello, I have been using my new ANDROID phone for about 3 weeks now and I’m loving it. Apps such as Foxtophone make me giggle like a small girl because it is so cool. I am getting in touch because I was wondering if you could tell me how to change the toolbar icon? But it seems you are already looking for a designer/artist. Get in touch, and hopefully we can help each other.

• alfonso

02/04/2011 at 21:37

To change the current toolbar icon you’ll have to open the extension and change it there (.xpi is just a renamed .zip)

But if you provide a nice icon we can change it for everyone; hurry up because sastian has said that he also wants to provide an icon.

5. sastian

02/04/2011 at 19:03

Ill start working on a new icon for you tonight…

• alfonso

02/04/2011 at 21:42

Thanks, I used to “like it”, but lately I see it as a big black rectangle.

If you and Anil provide nice icons we might have a hard time to choose the winner :-)

Anyway, according to this post http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2010/12/02/toolbar-buttons-in-firefox-4/ I think that the real content of the icon must be 15×15

Thanks to both again.

6. Anil K Solanki

04/04/2011 at 11:50

I have tried to change the icon myself but Firefox says my add-on file is corrupted. I understand .xpi is just a .zip file, I have tried creating the .zip file on my Mac and in Win XP but no joy. I thought add-ons had to be signed in some way. Anyway I am stuck until alfonso reponds.

7. Max

04/04/2011 at 11:58

I would love to aid with testing. The problem is I cannot use FoxToPhone right now. I changed to a new Android device and it seems the links are still send to my old device. At least the get lost.

• Anil K Solanki

04/04/2011 at 19:57

Hi Max, if you still have access to your old ANDROID device launch the Chrome To Phone app, tap the menu button, tap on settings, then tap on Disconnect Phone. this will unregister this device.

If you no longer have access to this device, then my question would be, why wasn’t it wiped before you got rid of it?

In which case installing Chrome To Phone on your new device will take you through the connection procedure for registering that device. I would love to know what happens when you try to register another ANDROID device to your account. How does the Google cloud manage multiple devices with one owner, and ergo one Google account.

I sincerely hope you get this working, for me it has to be one of the coolest, and most useful features I have used in a long time.

• Max

08/04/2011 at 07:36

So it works again now after setting up chrom2phone again. Why did I forget about that? ;) Anyway I don’t know what happens to the old phone. I wiped it but did not unregister chrom2phone explicitly. In my Android market account I could still select the old device for app installations.

8. Anil K Solanki

04/04/2011 at 12:48

Cool! Win 7 & Parallels to the rescue! A ZIP file on the Mac is different to a ZIP file on Windows, lesson learned.

Anyway, I have my new icon working in Firefox 4, looks great and works even better. Thank you Patrick.

9. Brendon

08/04/2011 at 20:16

Works great on my XOOM and Firefox 4

10. djblois

25/05/2011 at 16:27

I have 2 ideas to extend this add-on much more.

1) currently I use Shareholic as well as foxToPhone. I think FoxToPhone should extend its feature set and allow sharing to other things like email, facebook, etc..

2) Allow the ability to send to someone else’s phone. Maybe have where they need to give me a code or something so I can send it to their phone.

• alfonso

26/05/2011 at 13:52

1) It seems that it would make the UI more complex, now you might need to choose what to send and where to send that, and as you said, there are other extensions that can file that role. What would be the advantage of integrating that into FoxToPhone?

2) I’ve wanted that feature almost since the beginning, but that depends on the Google guys that handle the server and apk to provide that feature into the core.

• AfzalivE

27/05/2011 at 03:40

How about a phoneTofox?

• alfonso

29/05/2011 at 15:51

As stated many other times, this depends on the core project. Until it’s added in the Android apk we can’t really do much (besides trying to create all that code ourselves)

• AfzalivE

31/05/2011 at 17:11

oh right, I completely forgot that the actual project is ChromeToPhone. Lol sorry.

11. Balamacab

26/05/2011 at 14:48

Hi, I use to use your plugin in my firefox and love it, till I start using Firefox nightly and right now I’m not able to use your plugin.

Could you please modify your browser requirement and add 7.0

Thanks.

• alfonso

29/05/2011 at 15:59

In order to use Firefox nightlies you should install the “Addon compatibility reporter” that allows to you to override the compatibility of each add-on that you have installed without all the add-ons developers rushing to test their code in a pre-alpha version.

12. G.J.Robert

27/05/2011 at 02:29

Hi, I can confirm that 1.1.2 does not function properly in Traditional Chinese, Firefox 5.0 beta. Where should I file this issue?

• G.J.Robert

27/05/2011 at 02:33

Oh pardon me, synptom: no icons nor menu items of Fox To Phone appearing on toolbars or menus.

In the preference window:
      XML 解析錯誤: 未定義的 Entity
      位址: chrome://sendtophone/content/options.xul
      行號 5, 第 1 個字:<prefwindow id="sendtophone-prefs"
      ^

which is an XML parsing error, "undefined entities".

• alfonso

29/05/2011 at 15:50

Sorry, the chinese translation has been available for some months in the beta version but no one did report any problem. I’ve uploaded a new beta that just tries to address this problem

• G.J.Robert

01/06/2011 at 03:32

Hi, the beta extension is back to function now, the icon and the menu items are back. Only that the labels and texts are now in garbled encoding~ Thanks!

13. xav

10/06/2011 at 11:19

the URL for the addon on AMO is https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxtophone/
    the one in the post 404′d