RSS

Sorry, we made a mistake

12 Oct

We have noticed recently that due to a small glitch in our FoxToPhone extension we broke a little functionality in Firefox by default.

Upon upgrade to a new version you’ll read this page just once so you can learn about the problem, the solution and our apologies for not noticing it at the correct time.

When you install FoxToPhone we automatically add the button to the toolbar at the right side of the Url bar, but placing any icon there means that Stop and Reload buttons are not embedded in the Url bar and that it’s not possible to resize the Url and Search bars.

To fix the problem you just have to customize the toolbar and move the Android head to some place at the end of the toolbar.

Step 1: right click and select customize

Now drag and drop the FoxToPhone button at the right of the Search bar

Then close the Customize pane and you’ll be able to resize the Url and Search bars (sometimes it seems that you might have to restart Firefox to work correctly)

Again, our apologies for not having noticed the problem before, and by the way, did you read our previous post explaining how to send files to your Android easily?

1. Dimas

28/10/2011 at 00:53

Done some weeks ago. Thx for the addon :)

2. upset

29/10/2011 at 00:46

When I started Firefox, and this page popped up, it lost all my tabs!

• alfonso

01/11/2011 at 11:46

Sorry, we didn’t notice such problem while testing the update page.

We will review the code if we ever need to launch again a page on startup of Firefox.

3. Dark Reality

29/10/2011 at 01:14

This never affected me. If it did, I knew it would bust the URL bar so I fixed it before it could. ;)

As a nice touch you should offer a direct download of your logo, in a format that would look great as an Android icon. LauncherPro lets you change the icon (I believe even in the free version) and that would be awesome if the Android icon showed Firefox, rather than Chrome. Minor, minor thing but it would be nice.

• alfonso

01/11/2011 at 11:48

Which icon do you want?
      The Firefox+Nexus one at the top of this page or the Android head created by Anil?

4. john3

31/10/2011 at 17:07

This error message is worded poorly.

• alfonso

01/11/2011 at 11:50

Ok.
      Next time I’ll write it in Spanish and that way it will be correctly written.

• Matt Katz

15/11/2011 at 13:57

I would like to apologize on behalf of everyone else for John3. His comment added nothing.

Also, I’d like to thank you for your work. It has really helped me knit together my experience with fox and my phone.

It’s a little thing, but it is a little thing I use EVERY DAY.

5. Dalton

01/11/2011 at 04:54

I’ve never changed a thing and I’ve never had a problem. I use the beta and alpha versions of firefox so I don’t know if that makes a difference but it’s placed right between the url and search bars (default location) and the refresh/stop buttons are still in the “Awesome Bar.”

• alfonso

01/11/2011 at 11:52

That’s good, but please notice that if you have left the FoxToPhone button between the url and search bars you can’t resize them.
      So it’s a good idea to move the icon to the right of the search bar.

• nRoK

03/11/2011 at 15:38

Thanks for the info!

No sabía que se podía cambiar el tamaño de esas barras :) .

6. tom103

02/11/2011 at 08:20

I was wondering why the reload button wasn’t in the URL bar anymore, but I never suspected it was because of FoxToPhone… Thanks for the explanation!

7. Edward B

04/11/2011 at 20:45

Firefox v4.x.x – stop and reload buttons embedded into the end of the url text-entry area. No problem with FoxToPhone.

8. Thomas Christensen

01/12/2011 at 13:49

Sorry – this fix does not work in Firefox 8.0 in Ubuntu 11.10? Every time I go to customize the reload and stop buttons are shown, when I finish customizing (having moved the FoxToPhone icon to the right) the reload and stop buttons disappear.

When I go to customize again the reload and stop buttons reappear, but only as long as I’m in customize mode…

• alfonso

01/12/2011 at 21:05

Well, first of all the problem didn’t make the stop and reload buttons disappear, it mainly affected the ability to resize the search bar and in some cases to show a unified stop/reload button inside the URL bar.

So if you have moved the FoxToPhone icon to the right side then you should check if some other extension might be the one causing your problems. You can test in safe mode to verify that it’s working fine there and then slowly try to find out what’s the problem

9. Ryan

27/12/2011 at 19:54

Hello, this is a very useful extension. It would be even better with a way to send all open tabs to the phone, rather than just individual ones. Keep up the great development work.

• alfonso

29/12/2011 at 19:34

The problem about that is that sending all the tabs might be stopped by flood control so only some of them end up in the phone, and also you must remember that they don’t open new tabs/windows on the phone so they would overwrite each other and you could see only the last one

10. Thomas

01/02/2012 at 19:20

How can I stop this page from opening every time I open Firefox? I get it… you made a mistake.

• alfonso

02/02/2012 at 14:16

If you are getting this page every time you open Firefox is because for some reason we can’t write the preference to remember that the alert has already been shown, or it is reset after you close Firefox.
      In about:config there should be an entry called “extensions.sendtophone.latestNotice” of type integer with the value 10202.

• Thom

20/03/2012 at 13:02

Yes, that entry is there, but what do I need to change it to?

• alfonso

21/03/2012 at 20:28

That’s the correct value meaning that the alert about version 1.2.2 has already been shown.
          So it’s either reset after closing Firefox, or we aren’t the ones that are launching the page on restart

11. Sembazuru

20/02/2012 at 15:24

Thank you for your work on providing this add-on for firefox. I use v1.2.2 (the latest?) on FF 10.0.2 without issue. Especially useful for transferring tracking codes to my phone to paste into PackageBuddy (a package tracking app).

Is it possible to shoe-horn this extension into Thunderbird so I can send links, clipboard, etc directly out of my email instead of having to get the content into FF first?

Thanx again.

• alfonso

20/02/2012 at 19:48

Yes, 1.2.2 is currently the latest version.

I haven’t tested if the extension can work with Thunderbird. In theory it should be possible to do it “easily”, but I guess that in this case instead of trying to send the current page it should be restricted mostly to a context menu option to send the selected text or link as you’ve stated.

But, isn’t it easier to configure that mail account in your phone? that way you can get the mails with all the content without this proxy.

• Sembazuru

22/02/2012 at 23:07

Yeah, in _theory_ it should be “easy”. I work in research so I understand exactly how far from reality that statement usually is. ;-)

I do have several of my email accounts in the phone, but not all of them (It would be overload for the phone). I was thinking the TB version would mainly be the context menu (send link, text, etc). It would be convenient while going through mail on the computer to see something I want on my phone and send it via a context menu item, instead of stopping what I’m doing on the phone, opening the email in the phone, selecting the text with my fingertip and copying it to the clipboard. That is, if the text/link I want is in one of the emails that I have on the phone, instead of one of my lesser used auxiliary email accounts that isn’t configured on the phone.

All said, it is convenience, not necessity that prompted my query.

12. aishu

23/04/2012 at 05:43

i didnt face this problem, but im facing this “error 500″ thing.

13. travis

11/05/2012 at 13:55

any way to make it more consistent? i have a hunch that it is probably because i am at work and behind a firewall, but sending links to my phone seems to work sporadically. it would make more sense to me if it didn’t work at all, but i just hit the button several times every few minutes and eventually the link opens on my phone (just once, and it appears only once in the history)

any suggestions?

• alfonso

11/05/2012 at 17:46

Sorry but that’s outside of our control. We just send the request to the Google servers and from that point we can’t do anything, it’s in their hands the magic to connect with your phone and send the data

14. Sascha R

04/06/2012 at 14:00

I love this addon.
    Is there a reversed way?
    Like “android2cloud” does?
    Sending sites from phone to firefox.
    But “android2cloud”, only works for Chrome